You are here
1. Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics 2012. CA Cancer J Clin 2012;62:10.
2. Jemal A, Thomas A, Murray T, Thun M. Cancer statistics 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2002;52:23.
3. Coggon D, Barker DJP, Cole RB, Nelson M. Stomach cancer and food storage. J Natl Cancer Inst 1989;81:1178.
4. Howson CP, Hiyama T, Wynder EL. The decline in gastric cancer: epidemiology of an unplanned triumph. Epidemiol Rev 1986;8:1.
5. Offerhaus GJA, Stadt J, Huibregtse K, et al. The mucosa of the gastric remnant harboring malig- nancy. Cancer 1989;64:698.
6. Lacaine F, Houry S, Huguier M. Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease. A critical analysis of epidemiological reports. Hepatogastroenterology 1992;39:4.
7. Parsonnet J, Friedman GD, Vanderstern DP, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric carcinoma. N Engl J Med 1991;325:1127.
8. Talley NJ, Zinmeister AR, Weaver A, et al. Gastric adenocarcinoma and Helicobacter pylori infection. J Natl Cancer Inst 1991;83:1734.
9. Fuchs CS, Mayer RJ. Gastric carcinoma. N Engl J Med 1995;333:32.
10. Jauch KW, Heiss MM, Gruetzner U, et al. Prog- nostic significance of bone marrow micrometasta- ses in patients with gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1810.
11. Heiss MM, Allgayer H, Gruetzner KU, et al. Clini- cal value of extended biologic staging by bone marrow micrometastases and tumor-associated proteases in gastric cancer. Ann Surg 1997;226:736.
12. Dockerty MB. Pathologic aspects of primary malignant neoplasms of the stomach. In: ReMine WH, Priestley JT, Berkson J, editors. Cancer of the Stomach. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1964. p. 173.
13. Gunderson LL, Sosin H. Adenocarcinoma of the stomach: areas of failure in a reoperation series (second or symptomatic looks): clinicopathologic correlation and implications for adjuvant therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1982;8:1.
14. Kennedy BJ. TNM classification for stomach cancer. Cancer 1970;26:971.
15. Nagatomo T, Murakami E, Kondo K. Histologic criteria of serosal rupture and prognosis in gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1969;29:180.
16. Roder JD, Bottcher K, Busch R, et al. Classifica- tion of regional lymph node metastasis from gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1998;82:621.
17. Ishida K, Katsuyama T, Sugiyama A, Kawasaki S. Immunohistochemical evaluation of lymph node micrometastases from gastric carcinomas. Cancer 1997;79:1069.
18. Dent DM, Werner ID, Novis B, et al. Prospective randomized trial of combined onco- logical therapy for gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1979;44:385.
19. Tsukiyama I, Akine Y, Kajiura Y, et al. Radiation therapy for advanced gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1988;15:123.
20. MacDonald WC, MacDonald JB. Adenocarci- noma of the esophagus and/or gastric cardia. Cancer 1987;60:1094.
21. Meyers WC, Damiano RJ, Postlethwait RW, Rotolo FS. Adenocarcinoma of the stomach: changing patterns over the last four decades. Ann Surg 1987;205:1.
22. Yamada Y, Kato Y. Greater tendency for submuco- sal invasion in fundic area gastric carcinomas than those arising in the pyloric area. Cancer 1989;63:1757.
23. Fein R, Kelsen DP, Geller N, et al. Adenocarci- noma of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junc- tion: prognostic factors and results of therapy. Cancer 1985;56:2512.
24. Hartley LC, Evans E, Windsor CJ. Factors influ- encing prognosis in gastric cancer. Aust N Z J Surg 1987;57:5.
25. Nanus DM, Kelsen DP, Niedzwiecki D, et al. Flow cytometry as a predictive indicator in patients with operable gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1989;7:1105.
26. Korenaga D, Okamura T, Saito A, et al. DNA ploidy is closely linked to tumor invasion, lymph node metastasis, and prognosis in clinical gastric cancer. Cancer 1988;62:309.
27. Tsushima K, Nagorney DM, Cha SS, Reiman HM. Correlation of DNA ploidy, histopathology, stage, and clinical outcome in gastric carcinoma. Surg Oncol 1992;1:17.
28. Harrison JD, Morris DL, Ellis IO, et al. The effect of tamoxifen and estrogen receptor status on sur- vival in gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1989;64:1007.
29. Sugiyama K, Yonemura Y, Miyazaki I. Immunohis- tochemical study of epidermal growth factor and epidermal growth factor receptor in gastric carci- noma. Cancer 1989;63:1557.
30. Yonemura Y, Ninomiya I, Ohoyama S, et al. Expression of e-erb B-2 oncoprotein in gastric car- cinoma. Immunoreactivity for e-erb B-2 protein is an independent indicator of poor short-term prog- nosis in patients with gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1991;67:2914.
31. Hiton DA, West KP. An evaluation of the prognos- tic significance of HLA-DR expression in gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1990;66:1154.
32. Finlay CA, Hinds PW, Levine AJ. The p53 proto- oncogene can act as a suppressor of transformation. Cell 57:1083–93, 1989.
33. Lane DP. Worrying about p53. Curr Biol 1989;2:581–3.
34. Kastan MB, Oyekwere O, Sidransky D, et al. Par- ticipation of p53 in the cell response to DNA damage. Cancer Res 1991;51:6304–11.
35. O’Connor PM, Jackman J, Jondle D, et al. Role of p53 tumor suppressor gene in cell cycle arrest and radiosensitivity of Burkitt’s lymphoma cell lines. Cancer Res 1993;53:4776–80.
36. Fenoglio-Preiser CM, Noffsinger AE, Belli J, et al. Pathologic and phenotypic features of gastric cancer. Semin Oncol 1996;23:292–306.
37. Lynch HT, Smyrk TC, Watson P, et al. Genetics, natural history, tumor spectrum and pathology of hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer: an updated review. Gastroenterology 1993;10:1535–49.
38. Tahara E. Molecular mechanism of stomach carci- nogenesis. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1993;119: 265–72.
39. Tahara E, Yokozaki H, Yasui W. Growth factors in gastric cancer. In: Nishi M, Tahara E, editors. Gastric Cancer. Tokyo: Springer-Verlag; 1993. p. 209–17.
40. Fenoglio-Preiser CM. The effect of oncogenes on biology and prognosis of surgically resected gastric cancer. Chicago, IL: Educational Books, American Society of Clinical Oncology; 1997. p. 275–7.
41. Hiton DA, West KP. An evaluation of the prognos- tic significance of HLA-DR expression in gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1990;66:1154.
42. Tahara E, Semba S, Tahara H. Molecular biological observations in gastric cancer. Semin Oncol 1996;23:307–15.
43. Prolla J, Kobayashi S, Kirsner J. Gastric cancer: some recent improvements in diagnosis based on the Japanese experience. Arch Intern Med 1969;124:238.
44. Chun YS, Lindor NM, Smyrk TC, et al. Germline E-cadherin gene mutations. Is prophylactic total gastrectomy indicated? Cancer 2001;92:181.
45. Huntsman DG, Carneiro F, Lewis FR, et al. Early gastric cancer in young, asymptomatic carriers of germline E-cadherin mutations. N Engl J Med 2001;344:1904.
46. Lewis FR, Mellinger JD, Hayashi A, et al. Prophy- lactic total gastrectomy for familial gastric cancer. Surgery 2001;130:612.
47. Hermann RE. Newer concepts in the treatment of cancer of the stomach. Surgery 1993;113:361.
48. Lauren P. The two histologic main types of gastric carcinoma: diffuse and so-called intestinal type carcinoma. An attempt at a histological classification. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 1965;64:31.
49. Borrmann R. Geschwulste des Magens und Duo- denums. In: Henke F, Lanbarsch O, editors. Handbuch der Speziellen Pathologischen Anato- mie and Histologie, vol. 4. Berlin: Julius Springer; 1926.
50. Japanese Research Society for Gastric Cancer. The general rules for the gastric cancer study in surgery and pathology. Part I. Clinical classification. Jpn J Surg 1981;11:127.
51. Pollack BT, Chak A, Sivak Jr MN. Endoscopic ultrasonography. Semin Oncol 1996;23:336.
52. Wang J-Y, Hsieh J-S, Juang Y-S, et al. Endoscopic ultrasonography for preoperative locoregional staging and assessment of resectability in gastric cancer. Clin Imaging 1998;22:355.
53. Willis S, Truong S, Gribritz S, et al. Endoscopic ultrasonography in the preoperative staging of gastric cancer. Accuracy and impact on surgical therapy. Surg Endosc 2000;14:951.
54. Molloy RG, McCourtney JS, Anderson JR. Lapa- roscopy in the management of patients with cancer of the gastric cardia and oesophagus. Br J Surg 1995;82:352.
55. Burke EC, Karpeh MS Jr, Conlon KC, Brennan MF. Laparoscopy in the management of gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 1997;225:262.
56. Stell DA, Carter CR, Stewart I, Anderson JR. Prospective comparison of laparoscopy, ultraso- nography and computed tomography in the staging of gastric cancer. Br J Surg 1996;83:1260.
57. D’Ugo DM, Coppola R, Persiani R, et al. Imme- diately preoperative laparoscopic staging for gastric cancer. Surg Endosc 1996;10:996.
58. Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, et al. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer Verlag; 2010. p. 117.
59. Ichikura T, Tomimatsu S, Uefuji K, et al. Evalua- tion of the new American Joint Committee on Cancer/International Union against Cancer clas- sification of lymph node metastasis from gastric carcinoma in comparison with the Japanese clas- sification. Cancer 1999;86:553.
60. Hayashi H, Ochiai T, Suzuke T, et al. Superiority of a new UICC-TNM staging system for gastric carcinoma. Surgery 2000;127:129.
61. Cunningham D, Allum WH, Stenning SP, et al. Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancer. N Engl J Med 2006;355:11–20.
62. Schuhmacher C, Gretschel S, Lordick F, et al. Neo- adjuvant chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for locally advanced cancer of the stomach and cardia: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Randomized Trial 40954. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:5210–18.
63. Bozzetti F, Marubini E, Bonfanti G, et al. Subtotal versus total gastrectomy for gastric cancer: five-year survival rates in a multicenter randomized Italian trial. Ann Surg 1999;230:170.
64. Soetikno R, Kaltenbach T, Yeh R, et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection for early cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tract. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:4490.
65. Abe S, Yoshimura H, Nagaoka S, et al. Long-term results of operation for carcinoma of the stomach in T1/T2 stages: critical evaluation of the concept of early carcinoma of the stomach. J Am Coll Surg 1995;181:389.
66. Tanimura S, Higashino M, Fukunaga Y, et al. Laparoscopic distal gastrectomy with regional lymph node dissection for gastric cancer. Surg Endosc 2005;19:1177.
67. Huscher CG, Mingoli A, Sgarzini G, et al. Vide- olaparoscopic total and subtotal gastrectomy with extended lymph node dissection for gastric cancer. Am J Surg 2004;188:728.
68. Csendes A, Burdiles P, Rojas J, et al. A prospective randomized study comparing D2 total gastrectomy versus D2 total gastrectomy plus splenectomy in 187 patients with gastric carcinoma. Surgery 2002;131:401.
69. Kodera Y, Fujiwara M, Ohashi N, et al. Laparo- scopic surgery for gastric cancer: a collective review with meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Am Coll Surg 2010;211:677.
70. Martin RCG, Jaques DP, Brennan MF, et al. Extended local resection for advanced gastric cancer: increased survival versus increased morbid- ity. Ann Surg 2002;236:159.
71. Kunisaki C, Akiyama H, Nomura M, et al. Surgi- cal outcomes in patients with T4 gastric carci- noma. J Am Coll Surg 2006;202:223.
72. Maruyama K, Gunven P, Okabayashi K, et al. Lymph node metastases of gastric cancer. General pattern in 1931 patients. Ann Surg 1989;210:596.
73. Iriyama K, Asukawa T, Koike H, et al. Is extensive lymphadenectomy necessary for surgical treatment of intramucosal carcinoma of the stomach? Arch Surg 1989;124:309.
74. Kitagawa Y, Fujii H, Mukai M, et al. Radio-guided sentinel node detection for gastric cancer. Br J Surg 2002;89:604.
75. Sano T, Sasako M, Yamamoto, et al. Gastric cancer surgery: morbidity and mortality results from a prospective randomized controlled trial comparing D2 and extended para-aortic lymphadenectomy— Japan Clinic Oncology Group study 9501. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2767.
76. Bonnenkamp JJ, Hermans J, van de Velde CJH, for the Dutch Gastric Cancer Group. Extended lymphnode dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 1999;340:908.
77. Cushieri A, Weeden S, Fielding J, et al. Patient survival after D1 and D2 resections for gastric cancer: long-term results of the MRC randomized controlled surgical trial. Br J Cancer 1999;79:1522.
78. Degiuli M, Sasako M, Calgaro M, et al. Morbidity and mortality after D1 and D2 gastrectomy for cancer: interim analysis of the Italian Gastric Cancer Study Group (IGCSG) randomised surgi- cal trial. Eur J Surg Oncol 2004;30:303.
79. Bunt AM, Hermans J, Smit VT, et al. Surgical/ pathologic-stage migration confounds comparison of gastric cancer survival rates between Japan and Western countries. J Clin Oncol 1995;13:19.
80. Bunt AMG, Hermans J, van de Velde CJH, et al. Lymph node retrieval in a randomized trial on Western-type versus Japanese-type surgery in gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2289.
81. Imada T, Noguchi Y, Abe M, et al. Lymph node metastases in gastric cancer. Eur Surg Res 1986;19(Suppl 1):90.
82. Brennan MF. Radical surgery for gastric cancer. A review of the Japanese experience. Cancer 1989;64:2063.
83. Karpeh MS, Leon L, Klimstra D, Brennen MF. Lymph node staging in gastric cancer: is location more important than number? An analysis of 1038 patients. Ann Surg 2000;232:362.
84. Hundahl SA, Phillips JL, Menck HR. The National Cancer Data Base report on poor survival of U.S. gastric carcinoma patients treated with gas- trectomy. American Joint Committee on Cancer staging, proximal disease, and the “different disease” hypothesis. Cancer 2000;88:921.
85. Smith JW, Shin MH, Kelsey L, Brennan MF. Mor- bidity of radical lymphadenectomy in the curative resection of gastric carcinoma. Arch Surg 1991; 126:1469.
86. Miyata M, Yokoyama Y, Okoyama N, et al. What are the appropriate indications for endoscopic mucosal resection for early gastric cancer? Analysis of 256 endoscopically resected lesions. Endoscopy 2000;32:773.
87. Siewert Jr SH. Classification of carcinoma of the oesophagogastric junction. Br J Surg 1998;85: 1457–9.
88. Siewert Jr SH. Carcinoma of the cardia: carcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction—classification, pathology and extent of resection. Dis Esophagus 1996;9:173–82.
89. Siewert JR, Bottcher K, Stein HJ, et al. Problem of proximal third gastric carcinoma. World J Surg 1995;19(4):523–31.
90. Siewert JR. The future of oesophageal and gastric surgery. Ann Chirurg Gynaecol 1996;85(3): 196–200.
91. Husemann B. Cardia carcinoma considered as a distinct clinical entity. Br J Surg 1989;76(2): 136–9.
92. Feith M, Stein HJ, Siewert JR. Adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction: surgical therapy based on 1602 consecutive resected patients. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 2006;15(4):751–64.
93. Feith M, Stein HJ, Mueller J, et al. Malignant degeneration of Barrett’s esophagus: the role of the Ki-67 proliferation fraction, expression of E-cadherin and p53. Dis Esophagus 2004;17(4): 322–7.
94. Stein HJ, Feith M, Mueller J, et al. Limited resec- tion for early adenocarcinoma in Barrett’s esopha- gus. Ann Surg 2000;232:733–42.
95. Shen KR, Cassivi SD, Deschamps C, et al. Surgical treatment of tumors of the proximal stomach with involvement of the distal esophagus: A 26-year experience with Siewert type III tumors. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006;132(4):755–62.
96. Lerut T. Esophageal surgery at the end of the millennium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998;116: 1–20.
97. von Rahden BH, Stein HJ, Siewert JR. Surgical management of esophagogastic junction tumors. World J Gastroenterol 2006;41(12):6608–13.
98. Seiwert JR, Stein H, Feith M. Surgical approach to invasive adenocarcinoma of the distal esophagus (Barrett’s cancer). World J Surg 2003;27: 1058–61.
99. Siewert JR, Kestlmeier R, Busch R, et al. Benefits of D2 lymph node dissection for patients with gastric cancer and pN0 and pN1 lymph node metastases. Br J Surg 1996;83(8):1144–7.
100. Siewert JR, Stein HJ, Fink U. Multimodality Therapy for Esophageal Cancer. Oncologist 1996;1(4):210–8.
101. Stein HJ, Feith M, Bruecher BL, et al. Early esoph- ageal cancer. Pattern of lymphatic spread and prog- nostic factors for long-term survival after surgical resection. Ann Surg 2005;242:566–75.
102. Hermanek P. pTMN and residual tumor classifica- tions: problems of assessment and prognostic sig- nificance. World J Surg 1995;19:184–90.
103. Siewert JR, Bottcher K, Roder JD, et al. Prognostic relevance of systematic lymph node dissection in gastric carcinoma. German Gastric Carcinoma Study Group. Br J Surg 1993;80(8):1015–8.
104. Mariette C, Castel B, Toursel H, et al. Surgical management of an long-term survival after adeno- carcinoma of the cardia. Br J Surg 2002;89: 1156–63.
105. Laxa BU, Harold KL, Jaroszewski DE. Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy: Esophagogastric Anasto- mosis Using the Transoral Orvil for the End-to- Side Ivor-Lewis Technique. Innovations 2009; 4(6):319–25.
106. Kim RH, Takabe K. Methods of esophagogastric anastomoses following esophagectomy for cancer: A systematic review. J Surg Oncol 2010;101(6): 527–33.
107. Jaroszewski DE, Williams DG, Fleischer DE, et al. An early experience using the technique of tran- soral OrVil EEA stapler for minimally invasive transthoracic esophagectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;92(5):1862–9.
108. Pennathur A, Zhang J, Chen H, et al. The “best operation” for esophageal cancer? Ann Thorac Surg 2010;89(6):S2163–7.
109. Nagpal K, Ahmed K, Vats A, et al. Is minimally invasive surgery beneficial in the management of esophageal cancer: A meta-analysis. Surg Endosc 2010;24:1621–9.
110. Sgourakas G, Gockel I, Radtke A, et al. Minimally Invasive versus open esophagectomy: Meta-analysis of outcomes. Dig Dis Sci 2010; 55:30131–3040.
111. Gronnier C, Piessen G, Mariette C. Diagnosis and treatment of non-metastatic esophagogastric junc- tion adenocarcinoma: What are the current options? J Visc Surg 2012;149:e23–e33.
112. Langer R, Von Rahden BH, Nahrig J, et al. Prog- nostic significance of expression patterns of c-erbB- 2, p53, p16INK4A, p27KIP1, cyclin D1 and epidermal growth factor receptor in oesophageal adenocarcinoma: a tissue microarray study. J Clin Pathol 2006;59(6):631–4.
113. Macintyre DMC, Akoh JA. Improving survival in gastric cancer: review of operation mortality in English language publications from 1970. Br J Surg 1981;78:773.
114. Heberer G, Teichmann RK, Krämling HJ, Günther B. Results of gastric resection for carcinoma of the stomach: the European experience. World J Surg 1988;12:374.
115. Green PH, O’Toole KM, Slonim D, et al. Increas- ing incidence and excellent survival of patients with early gastric cancer: expression in a United States Medical Center. Am J Med 1998;85:658.
116. Itoh H, Oohata Y, Nakamura K, et al. Complete ten-year postgastrectomy follow-up of early gastric cancer. Am J Surg 1989;158:14.
117. Majus WC, Damiano Jr RJ, Rotolo FS, et al. Adenocarcinoma of the stomach: changing pat- terns over the last four decades. Ann Surg 1987;205:1.
118. Noguchi Y, Imada T, Matsumoto A, et al. Radical surgery for gastric cancer. A review of the Japanese experience. Cancer 1989;64:2053
119. Nakamura K, Keyama T, Yao T, et al. Pathology and prognosis of gastric carcinoma. Findings in 10,000 patients who underwent primary gastrec- tomy. Cancer 1992;70:1030.
120. MacDonald JS, Smalley SR, Benedetti J, et al. Chemoradiotherapy after surgery compared with surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastroesophageal junction. N Engl J Med 2001;345:725.
121. Landry J, Tepper J, Wood W, et al. Analysis of survival and local control following surgery for gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1990;19:1357.
122. D’Angelica M, Gonen M, Brennan MF, et al. Pat- terns of initial recurrence in completely resected gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 2004;240:808.
123. Gunderson LL. Gastric cancer—patterns of relapse after surgical resection. Semin Radiat Oncol 2002;12:150.
124. McNeer G, Vandenberg H, Donn FY, Bowden LA. A critical evaluation of subtotal gastrectomy for the cure of the stomach. Ann Surg 1957;134:2.
125. Thomson FB, Robins RE. Local recurrence follow- ing subtotal resection for gastric carcinoma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1952;95:341.
126. Wisbeck WA, Becker EM, Russell AH. Adenocar- cinoma of the stomach: autopsy observations with therapeutic implications for the radiation oncolo- gist. Radiother Oncol 1986;7:13.
127. Gilbertson VA. Results of treatment of stomach cancer: an appraisal of efforts for more extensive surgery and a report of 1,938 cases. Cancer 1969;23:1305.
128. MacDonald JS, Steele G, Gunderson LL. Carci- noma of the stomach. In: DeVita V, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, editors. Principles and Practices of Oncology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott; 1989. p. 765.
129. Songun I, Putter H, Meershoek-Klein Kranenbarg E, et al. Surgical treatment of gastric cancer: 15-year follow-up results of the randomized nationwide Dutch D1D2 trial. Lancet Oncol 2010;11:439–49.
130. Takiguchi N, Nunomura M, Koda K, et al. Neo- adjuvant chemotherapy with CDDP and 5-fluorouracil for gastric cancer with serosal inva- sion. Oncology Reports 2003;10:433–8.
131. Ajani JA, Mayer RJ, Ota DM, et al. Preoperative and postoperative combination chemotherapy for potentially resectable gastric carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:1839–44.
132. Ajani JA, Ota DM, Jessup JM, et al. Resectable gastric carcinoma. An evaluation of preoperative and postoperative chemotherapy. Cancer 1991; 68:1501–6.
133. Wilke H, Preusser P, Fink U, et al. Preoperative chemotherapy in locally advanced and nonresect- able gastric cancer: a phase II study with etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin. J Clin Oncol 1989;7:1318–26.
134. Hartgrink HH, van de Velde CJH, Putter H, et al. Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy for operable gastric cancer: long term results of the Dutch randomised FAMTX trial. Eur J Surg Oncol 2004;30:643–9.
135. Songun I, Keizer HJ, Hermans J, et al. Chemo- therapy for operable gastric cancer: results of the Dutch randomised FAMTX trial. The Dutch Gastric Cancer Group (DGCG). Eur J Cancer 1999;35:558–62.
136. Schuhmacher C, Gretschel S, Lordick F, et al. Neo- adjuvant chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for locally advanced cancer of the stomach and cardia: European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized trial 40954. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:5210–8.
137. Dixon WJ, Longmire Jr WP, Holden WD. Use of triethylenethiophosphoramide as an adju- vant to the surgical treatment of gastric and colorectal carcinoma: ten-year follow-up. Ann Surg 1971;173:26–39.
138. Serlin O, Wolkoff JS, Amadeo JM, Keehn RJ. Use of 5-fluorodeoxyuridine (FUDR) as an adjuvant to the surgical management of carcinoma of the stomach. Cancer 1969;24:223–8.
139. Anonymous. Controlled trial of adjuvant chemo- therapy following curative resection for gastric cancer. The Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. Cancer 1982;49:1116–22.
140. Engstrom PF, Lavin PT, Douglass Jr HO, Brunner KW. Postoperative adjuvant 5-fluorouracil plus methyl-CCNU therapy for gastric cancer patients. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group study (EST 3275). Cancer 1985;55:1868–73.
141. Higgins GA, Amadeo JH, Smith DE, et al. Efficacy of prolonged intermittent therapy with combined 5-FU and methyl-CCNU following resection for gastric carcinoma. A Veterans Administration Surgical Oncology, Group report. Cancer 1983; 52:1105–12.
142. Krook JE, O’Connell MJ, Wieand HS, et al. A prospective, randomized evaluation of intensive- course 5-fluorouracil plus doxorubicin as surgical adjuvant chemotherapy for resected gastric cancer. Cancer 1991;67:2454–8.
143. Estrada E, Lacave AJ, Valle M, et al. Methyl- CCNU, 5-fluorouracil, and Adriamycin (MeFA) as adjuvant chemotherapy in gastric cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1988;7:358.
144. Coombes RC, Schein PS, Chilvers CE, et al. A randomized trial comparing adjuvant fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and mitomycin with no treatment in operable gastric cancer. International Collaborative Cancer Group. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1362–9.
145. Hallissey MT, Dunn JA, Ward LC, Allum WH. The second British Stomach Cancer Group trial of adjuvant radiotherapy or chemotherapy in resect- able gastric cancer: five-year follow-up. Lancet 1994;343:1309–12.
146. Macdonald JS, Fleming TR, Peterson RF, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy with 5-FU, Adriamycin, and mitomycin-C (FAM) versus surgery alone for patients with locally advanced gastric adenocarci- noma: A Southwest Oncology Group study. Ann Surg Oncol 1995;2:488–94.
147. Tsavaris N, Tentas K, Kosmidis P, et al. A random- ized trial comparing adjuvant fluorouracil, epiru- bicin, and mitomycin with no treatment in operable gastric cancer. Chemotherapy 1996;42: 220–6.
148. Wils J, Nitti D, Guimaraes-Dos-Santos J, et al. Randomized phase III studies of adjuvant chemo- therapy with FAMTX or FEMTX in resected gastric cancer. Pooled results of studies fromthe EORTC GI-group and the ICCG. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002;21:131a.
149. Di Costanzo F, Gasperoni S, Manzione L, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy in completely resected gastric cancer: a randomized phase III trial con- ducted by GOIRC. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008;100:388–98.
150. Nakajima T, Fukami A, Ohashi I, Kajitani T. Long- term follow-up study of gastric cancer patients treated with surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin C. Int J Clin Pharmacol Bio- pharm 1978;16:209–16.
151. Nakajima T, Nashimoto A, Kitamura M, et al. Adjuvant mitomycin and fluorouracil followed by oral uracil plus tegafur in serosa-negative gastric cancer: a randomised trial. Gastric Cancer Surgical Study Group. Lancet 1999;354:273–7.
152. Nakajima T, Takahashi T, Takagi K, et al. Com- parison of 5-fluorouracil with ftorafur in adjuvant chemotherapies with combined inductive and maintenance therapies for gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1984;2:1366–71.
153. Nakajima T, Fukami A, Nunio T, Kajitani T. Adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin C, and with a multi-drug combination of mitomycin C, 5-fluorouracil and cytosine arabinoside after cura- tive resection of gastric cancer. Japanese J Clin Oncol 1980;10:187–94.
154. Sakuramoto S, Sasako M, Yamaguchi T, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer with S-1, an oral fluoropyrimidine. N Engl J Med 2007;357:1810–20.
155. Sasako M, Sakuramoto S, Katai H, et al. Five-year outcomes of a randomized phase III trial compar- ing adjuvant chemotherapy with S-1 versus surgery alone in stage II or III gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:4387–93.
156. Bajetta E, Buzzoni R, Mariani L, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy in gastric cancer: 5-year results of a randomised study by the Italian Trials in Medical Oncology (ITMO) Group. Ann Oncol 2002;13:299–307.
157. Bouche O, Ychou M, Burtin P, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin compared with surgery alone for gastric cancer: 7-year results of the FFCD randomized phase III trial (8801). Ann Oncol 2005;16:1488–97.
158. Chipponi J, Huguier M, Pezet D, et al. Randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection for gastric cancer. Am J Surg 2004;187:440–5.
159. Kulig J, Kolodziejczyk P, Sierzega M, et al. Adju- vant chemotherapy with etoposide, Adriamycin and cisplatin compared with surgery alone in the treatment of gastric cancer: a phase III randomized, multicenter, clinical trial. Oncology 2010;78: 54–61.
160. Nashimoto A, Nakajima T, Furukawa H, et al. Randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin, fluorouracil, and cytosine arabinoside followed by oral Fluorouracil in serosa-negative gastric cancer: Japan Clinical Oncology Group 9206-1. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2282–7.
161. Neri B, Cini G, Andreoli F, et al. Randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy versus control after curative resection for gastric cancer: 5-year follow-up. Br J Cancer 2001;84:878–80.
162. Gastric Group, Paoletti X, Oba K, et al. Benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy for resectable gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2010;303: 1729–37.
163. Ychou M, Boige V, Pignon J-P, et al. Perioperative chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma: an FNCLCC and FFCD multicenter phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:1715–21.
164. Sautner T, Hofbauer F, Depisch D, et al. Adjuvant intraperitoneal cisplatin chemotherapy does not improve long-term survival after surgery for advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12:970–4.
165. Takahashi T, Hagiwara A, Shimotsuma M, et al. Prophylaxis and treatment of peritoneal carcino- matosis: intraperitoneal chemotherapy with mito- mycin C bound to activated carbon particles. World J Surg 1995;19:565–9.
166. Kuramoto M, Shimada S, Ikeshima S, et al. Exten- sive intraoperative peritoneal lavage as a standard prophylactic strategy for peritoneal recurrence in patients with gastric carcinoma. Ann Surg 2009;250:242–6.
167. Yu W, Whang I, Chung HY, et al. Indications for early postoperative intraperitoneal chemother- apy of advanced gastric cancer: results of a prospec- tive randomized trial. World J Surg 2001;25: 985–90.
168. Yan TD, Black D, Sugarbaker PH, et al. A system- atic review and meta-analysis of the randomized controlled trials on adjuvant intraperitoneal che- motherapy for resectable gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:2702–13.
169. Crookes P, Leichman CG, Leichman L, et al. Sys- temic chemotherapy for gastric carcinoma followed by postoperative intraperitoneal therapy: a final report. Cancer 1997;79:1767–75.
170. Fink U, Stein HJ, Schuhmacher C, Wilke HJ. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer: update. World J Surg 1995;19:509–16.
171. Kelsen D, Karpeh M, Schwartz G, et al. Neoadjuvant therapy of high-risk gastric cancer: a phase II trial of preoperative FAMTX and postoperative intraperitoneal fluorouracil-cisplatin plus intravenous fluorouracil. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1818–28.
172. Newman E, Potmesil M, Ryan T, et al. Neoadju- vant chemotherapy, surgery, and adjuvant intra- peritoneal chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction car- cinoma: a phase II study. Semin Oncol 2005;32:S97–100.
173. Allum WH, Hallissey MT, Ward LC, Hockey MS, for the British Stomach Cancer Group. A con- trolled, prospective, and randomised trial of adju- vant chemotherapy or radiotherapy in resectable gastric cancer: interim report. Br J Cancer 1989;60:739.
174. Takahashi M, Abe M. Intraoperative radiotherapy for carcinoma of the stomach. Eur J Surg Oncol 1986;12:247.
175. Chen G, Song S. Evaluation of intraoperative radiotherapy for gastric carcinoma analysis of 247 patients. In: Abe M, Takahashi M, editors. Proceedings of Third International IO RT Symposium, Kyoto, Japan. New York: Pergamon
Press; 1991. p. 190.
176. Sindelar WF, Kinsella TJ, Tepper JE, et al. Randomized trial of intraoperative radiotherapy in carcinoma of the stomach. Am J Surg 1993;165: 178.
177. Shchepotin IB, Evans SRT, Chorny V, et al. Inten- sive preoperative radiotherapy with local hyper- thermia for the treatment of gastric carcinoma. Surg Oncol 1994;3:37.
178. Talaev MI, Starinskii VV, Kovalev BN, et al. Results of combined treatment of cancer of the gastric antrum and gastric body. Vopr Onkol 1990;36:1485.
179. Kosse VA. Combined treatment of gastric cancer using hypoxic radiotherapy. Vopr Onkol 1990; 36:1349.
180. Zhang ZX, Gu XZ, Yin WB, et al. Randomized clinical trial combination on the preoperative irra- diation and surgery in the treatment of adenocar- cinoma of the gastric cardia (AGC) report on 370 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1998;42:929.
181. Gunderson LL, Hoskins B, Cohen AM, et al. Combined modality treatment of gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1983;9:965.
182. Gez E, Sulkes A, Yablonsky-Peretz T, Weshler Z. Combined 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and radiation therapy following resection of locally advanced gastric carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 1986;31:139.
183. Regine WF, Mohuidden M. Impact of adjuvant therapy on locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992;24:921.
184. Whittington R, Coia L, Haller DG, et al. Adeno- carcinoma of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: the effects of single and combined modalities on the survival and patterns of failure following treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1990;19:593.
185. Henning GT, Schild SF, Stafford SL, et al. Results of irradiation or chemo-irradiation following resec- tion of gastric adenocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2000;46:589.
186. Moertel CG, Childs DS, O’Fallon JR, et al. Com- bined 5-fluorouracil and radiation therapy as a surgical adjuvant for poor prognosis gastric carci- noma. J Clin Oncol 1984;2:1249.
187. Smalley SS, Gunderson L, Tepper J, et al. Gastric surgical adjuvant radiotherapy consensus report: rationale and treatment implementation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002;52:282.
188. Smalley SS, Benedetti JK, Haller DG, et al. Updated analysis of SWOG-directed Intergroup Study 0116: A Phase III trial of adjuvant radioche- motherapy versus observation following curative gastric cancer resection. J Clin Oncol 2012 [Epub ahead of print]
189. Tepper JE, Gunderson LL. Radiation treatment parameters in the adjuvant postoperative therapy of gastric cancer. Semin Radiat Oncol 2002;12:187.
190. Fuchs CS, Tepper JE, Niedzwiecki D, et al: Post- operative adjuvant chemoradiation for gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinoma using epirubicin, cisplatin and infusional (CI) 5-FU (ECF) before and after CI 5FU and radio- therapy (CRT) compared with bolus 5-FU/LV before and after CRT: Intergroup trial CALGB 80101. ASCO Proceedings 2011 pg 256s
191. Kim S, Lim KH, Lee J, et al. An observational study suggesting clinical benefit for adjuvant post- operative chemoradiation in a population of over 500 cases after gastric resection with D2 nodal dissection for adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005;63:1279.
192. Lee J, Lim DH, Kim S, et al. Phase III trial comparing capecitabine plus cisplatin versus capecitabine plus cisplatin with concurrent capecitabine radiotherapy in completely resected gastric cancer with D2 lymph node dissection: The ARTIST Trial. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:268–73.
193. Walsh TN, Noonau N, Hollywood D, et al. A comparison of multimodal therapy and surgery in esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1996;335:462.
194. Urba S, Orringer M, Turrisi A, et al. Randomized trial of preoperative chemoradiation vs surgery alone in patients with locoregional esophageal cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:305.
195. Tepper JE, Krasna M, Niedzwiecki D, et al. Phase III trial of trimodality therapy with cisplatin, fluo- rouracil, radiotherapy and surgery compared with surgery alone for esophageal cancer: CALGB 9871. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:1086.
196. vanHaugen P, Hulshof MC, van Lanschot JJ, et al; for the CROSS group. Preoperative chemoradio- therapy for esophageal or junctional cancer. N Engl J Med 2012;368:2074–84.
197. Stahl M, Walz MK, Stuschke M, et al. Phase III comparison of preoperative chemotherapy com- pared with chemoradiotherapy in patients with locally-advanced adenocarcinoma of the esophago- gastric junction. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:851.
198. Coburn NG, Govindaragan A, Law CHL, et al. Stage-specific effect of adjuvant therapy following gastric cancer resection: A population-based analy- sis of 4,041 patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2008;15:500.
199. Fiorica F, Cartei F, Enea N, et al. The impact of radiotherapy on survival in resectable gastric carci- noma: A meta-analysis of literature data. Cancer Treat Rev 2007;33:729.
200. Gebski V, Burneister B, Smithers BM, et al; for the Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group. Sur- vival benefits from neoadjuvant chemoradiother- apy or chemotherapy in oesophageal carcinoma: a meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol 2007;8:226.
201. Gunderson LL, Martenson JA. Gastrointestinal tract radiation tolerance. In: Vaeth JM, Meyer JL, editors. Radiation Tolerance of Normal Tissues, vol. 23. Basel: Karger; 1989. p. 277.
202. Willett CG, Tepper JE, Orlow EL, Shipley WU. Renal complications secondary to radiation treat- ment of upper abdominal malignancies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1986;12:1601.
203. Ringahs J, Perkins G, Brierley J, et al. IMRT for adjuvant radiation in gastric cancer: a preferred plan? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005;63:732.
204. Wieland P, Dobler B, Sabine M, et al. IMRT for postoperative treatment of gastric cancer: covering large target volumes in the upper abdomen; a com- parison of a step-and-shoot and an arc therapy approach. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004;59:1236.
205. Ashman JB, Callister MD, Jaroszewski DE, et al. Trimodality therapy for distal esophageal/ esophagogastric junction adenocarcinoma using three-dimensional conformal and intensity modu- lated radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010;78:S303.
206. Mayo CS, Urie MM, Fitzgerald TJ, et al. Hybrid IMRT for treatment of cancers of the lung and esophagus. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008;71:1408.
207. Wang S-L, Liao Z, Vaporciyan AA, et al. Investiga- tion of clinical and dosimetric factors associated with postoperative pulmonary complications in esophageal cancer patients treated with concurrent chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006;64:692.
208. Jaroszewski DE, William DG, Fleischer DE, et al. An early experience using the technique of tran- soral OrVil EEA stapler for minimally invasive transthoracic esophagectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;92:1862.
209. Monson JRT, Donohue JH, McIlrath DC, et al. Total gastrectomy for advanced cancer. A worth- while palliative procedure. Cancer 1991;68:1863.
210. Wieland C, Hymmen U. Megavoltage therapy for malignant gastric tumors. Strahlentherapie 1970;40:20.
211. Takahashi T. Studies on preoperative and postop- erative telecobalt therapy in gastric cancer. Nipon Acta Radiol 1964;24:129.
212. Moertel CG, Childs Jr DS, Reitemeier RJ, et al. Combined 5-fluorouracil and supervoltage radia- tion therapy of locally unresectable gastrointestinal cancer. Lancet 1969;2:865.
213. Schein PS, Novak J, for GITSG. Combined modality therapy (XRT-chemo) versus chemother- apy alone for locally unresectable gastric cancer. Cancer 1982;49:1771.
214. Chevalier TL, Smith FP, Harter WK, Schein PS. Chemotherapy and combined modality therapy for locally advanced and metastatic gastric carci- noma. Semin Oncol 1985;12:46.
215. The Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. The concept of locally advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 1990;66:2324.
216. Bleiberg H, Goffin JC, Dalesie O, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy in resectable gastric cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 1989;15:535.
217. O’Connell MJ, Gunderson LL, Moertel CG, et al. A pilot study of intensive combined therapy for locally unresectable gastric cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1985;11:1827.
218. Moertel CG, Gunderson LL, Malliard JA, et al. Early evaluation of combined fluorouracil and leucovorin as a radiation enhancer for locally unresectable, residual or recurrent gastrointestinal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:21.
219. Henning GT, Schild SF, Stafford SL, et al. Results of irradiation or chemoirradiation for primary unresectable, locally recurrent or grossly incom- plete resection of gastric adenocarcinomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2000;46:109.
220. Facchini G, Tortoriello A, Caponigro F, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric-cancer—preliminary-results of a phase-II trial with a modified FAMTX combination. Oncol Rep 1995;2:727–30.
221. Lerner A, Gonin R, Steele Jr GD, Mayer RJ. Eto- poside, doxorubicin, and cisplatin chemotherapy for advanced gastric adenocarcinoma: results of a phase II trial. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:536–40.
222. Plukker JT, Mulder NH, Sleijfer DT, et al. Che- motherapy and surgery for locally advanced cancer of the cardia and fundus: phase II study with methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil. Br J Surg 1991;78:955–8.
223. Preusser P, Wilke H, Achterrath W, et al. Phase II study with the combination etoposide, doxorubi- cin, and cisplatin in advanced measurable gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1989;7:1310–7.
224. Roelofs EJ, Wagener DJ, Conroy T, et al. Phase II study of sequential high-dose methotrexate (MTX) and 5-fluorouracil (F) alternated with epirubicin (E) and cisplatin (P) [FEMTX-P] in advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 1993;4:426–8.
225. Yano M, Shiozaki H, Inoue M, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by salvage surgery: effect on survival of patients with primary noncurative gastric cancer. World J Surg 2002;26:1155–9.
226. Sym SJ, Chang HM, Ryu M-H, et al. Neoadjuvant docetaxel, capecitabine and cisplatin (DXP) in patients with unresectable locally advanced or metastatic gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2010;17:1024–32.
227. Alexander HR, Grem JL, Hamilton JM, et al. Thy- midylate synthase protein expression: Association with response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and resection for locally advanced gastric and gastro- esophageal adenocarcinoma. Cancer J Sci Am 1995;1:49–54.
228. Fink U, Schuhmacher C, Stein HJ, et al. Preopera- tive chemotherapy for stage III-IV gastric carci- noma: feasibility, response and outcome after complete resection. Br J Surg 1995;82:1248–52.
229. Rougier P, Mahjoubi M, Lasser P, et al. Neoadju- vant chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric carcinoma—a phase II trial with combined con- tinuous intravenous 5-fluorouracil and bolus cis- platinum. Eur J Cancer 1994;30A:1269–75.
230. Kang YK, Choi DW, Im YH, et al. A phase III randomized comparison of neoadjuvant chemo- therapy followed by surgery versus surgery for locally advanced stomach cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1996;15:215.
231. Wilke H, Preusser P, Fink U, et al. Preoperative chemotherapy in locally advanced and nonresect- able gastric cancer: a phase II study with etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin. J Clin Oncol 1989;7:1318.
232. Wilke H, Preusser P, Fink U, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy of primarily unresectable gastric cancer. In: Proceedings of the International Con- ference on Biology and Treatment of Gastrointes- tinal Malignancies, Frankfurt, Germany, 1992.
233. Plukker JT, Mulder NH, Sleijfer D, et al. Chemo- therapy and surgery for locally advanced cancer of the cardia and fundus: phase II study with metho- trexate and 5-fluorouracil. Br J Surg 1991;78:955.
234. Ajani JA, Mansfield PF, Janjan N, et al. Preopera- tive chemoradiation therapy in patients with potentially resectable gastric carcinoma: a multi- institutional pilot. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1998;17:283a.
235. Ajani JA, Mansfield PF, Janjan N, et al. Multi- institutional trial of preoperative chemoradiother- apy in patients with potentially resectable gastric carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2774.
236. Hartgrink HH, Putter H, Klein Kranenbarg E, et al. Value of palliative resection in gastric cancer. Br J Surg 2002;89:1438.
237. Glimelius B, Ekstrom K, Hoffman K, et al. Ran- domized comparison between chemotherapy plus best supportive care with best supportive care in advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 1977;8:163.
238. Kingston RD, Ellis DJ, Powell J, et al. The West Midlands gastric carcinoma chemotherapy trial: planning and results. Clin Oncol 1978;4:55–69.
239. Murad AM, Santiago FF, Petroianu A, et al. Modi- fied therapy with 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and methotrexate in advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 1993;72:37–41.
240. Park JO, Chung HC, Cho JY, et al. Retrospective comparison of infusional 5-fluorouracil, doxorubi- cin, and mitomycin-C (modified FAM) combina- tion chemotherapy versus palliative therapy in treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 1997;20:484–9.
241. Pyrhonen S, Kuitunen T, Nyandoto P, Kouri M. Randomised comparison of fluorouracil, epidoxo- rubicin and methotrexate (FEMTX) plus support- ive care with supportive care alone in patients with non-resectable gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 1995;71:587–91.
242. Rake MO, Mallinson CN, Cocking JB, et al. Che- motherapy in advanced gastric cancer: a controlled, prospective, randomised multi-centre study. Gut 1979;20:797–801.
243. Ohtsu A, Boku N, Yoshioka T, et al. A Phase II study of irinotecan in combination with 120-h infusion of 5-fluorouracil in patients with meta- static colorectal carcinoma: Japan Clinical Oncol- ogy Group Study (JCOG9703). Jpn J Clin Oncol 2003;33:28–32.
244. Tebbutt NC, Norman A, Cunningham D, et al. A multicentre, randomised phase III trial comparing protracted venous infusion (PVI) 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) with PVI 5-FU plus mitomycin C in patients with inoperable oesophago-gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2002;13:1568–75.
245. Vanhoefer U, Rougier P, Wilke H, et al. Final results of a randomized phase III trial of sequential high-dose methotrexate, fluorouracil, and doxoru- bicin versus etoposide, leucovorin, and fluorouracil versus infusional fluorouracil and cisplatin in advanced gastric cancer: A trial of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:2648–57.
246. Sakamoto J, Chin K, Kondo K, et al. Phase II study of a 4-week capecitabine regimen in advanced or recurrent gastric cancer. Anticancer Drugs 2006; 17:231–6.
247. Cho EK, Lee WK, Im S-A, et al. A phase II study of epirubicin, cisplatin and capecitabine combination chemotherapy in patients with meta- static or advanced gastric cancer. Oncology 2005;68:333–40.
248. Corporaal S, Smit WM, Russel MGVM, et al. Capecitabine, epirubicin and cisplatin in the treatment of oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma. Netherlands J Med 2006;64:141–6.
249. Giordano KF, Jatoi A, Stella PJ, et al. Docetaxel and capecitabine in patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of the stomach and gastroesopha- geal junction: a phase II study from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group. Ann Oncol 2006;17:652–6.
250. Kim JG, Sohn SK, Kim DH, et al. Phase II study of docetaxel and capecitabine in patients with metastatic or recurrent gastric cancer. Oncology 2005;68:190–5.
251. Cunningham D, Starling N, Rao S, et al. Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esopha- gogastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2008;358:36–46.
252. Kang YK, Kang WK, Shin DB, et al. Capecitabine/ cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a randomised phase III noninferiority trial. Ann Oncol 2009;20:666–73.
253. van Groeningen CJ, Peters GJ, Schornagel JH, et al. Phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of oral S-1 in patients with advanced solid tumors. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:2772–9.
254. Chollet P, Schoffski P, Weigang-Kohler K, et al. Phase II trial with S-1 in chemotherapy-naive patients with gastric cancer. A trial performed by the EORTC Early Clinical Studies Group (ECSG). Eur J Cancer 2003;39:1264–70.
255. Ajani JA, Lee F-C, Singh DA, et al. Multicenter phase II trial of S-1 plus cisplatin in patients with untreated advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:663–7.
256. Iwase H, Shimada M, Tsuzuki T, et al. A phase II multicentric trial of S-1 combined with 24 h-infusion of cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Anticancer Res 2005; 25:1297–301.
257. Lenz H-J, Lee F-C, Haller DG, et al. Extended safety and efficacy data on S-1 plus cisplatin in patients with untreated, advanced gastric carci- noma in a multicenter phase II study. Cancer 2007;109:33–40.
258. Boku N, Yamamoto S, Fukuda H, et al. Fluorouracil versus combination of irinotecan plus cisplatin versus S-1 in metastatic gastric cancer: a randomised phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:1063–9.
259. Garcia AA, Leichman CG, Lenz HJ, et al. Phase II trial of outpatient schedule of paclitaxel in patients with previously untreated metastatic, measurable adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2001;31:275–8.
260. Ajani JA, Fairweather J, Dumas P, et al. Phase II study of Taxol in patients with advanced gastric carcinoma. Cancer J Sci Am 1998;4:269–74.
261. Kornek GV, Raderer M, Schull B, et al. Effective combination chemotherapy with paclitaxel and cisplatin with or without human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and/or erythropoietin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 2002;86:1858–63.
262. Yamada Y, Shirao K, Ohtsu A, et al. Phase II trial of paclitaxel by three-hour infusion for advanced gastric cancer with short premedication for pro- phylaxis against paclitaxel-associated hypersensitiv- ity reactions. Ann Oncol 2001;12:1133–7.
263. Yamaguchi K, Tada M, Horikoshi N, et al. Phase II study of paclitaxel with 3-h infusion in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2002;5:90–5.
264. Park SR, Oh D-Y, Kim D-W, et al. A multi-center, late phase II clinical trial of Genexol (paclitaxel) and cisplatin for patients with advanced gastric cancer. Oncol Rep 2004;12:1059–64.
265. Shin SJ, Chun SH, Kim KO, et al. The efficacy of paclitaxel and cisplatin combination chemotherapy for the treatment of metastatic or recurrent gastric cancer: a multicenter phase II study. Korean J Intern Med 2005;20:135–40.
266. Lee K-W, Im S-A, Yun T, et al. Phase II trial of low-dose paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2005;35:720–6.
267. Gadgeel SM, Shields AF, Heilbrun LK, et al. Phase II study of paclitaxel and carboplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2003;26:37–41.
268. Honecker F, Kollmannsberger C, Quietzsch D, et al. Phase II study of weekly paclitaxel plus 24-h continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil, folinic acid and 3-weekly cisplatin for the treatment of patients with advanced gastric cancer. Anticancer Drugs 2002;13:497–503.
269. Einzig AI, Neuberg D, Remick SC, et al. Phase II trial of docetaxel (Taxotere) in patients with adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tract previously untreated with cytotoxic chemotherapy: the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) results of protocol E1293. Med Oncol 1996; 13:87–93.
270. Sulkes A, Smyth J, Sessa C, et al. Docetaxel (Taxotere) in advanced gastric cancer: results of a phase II clinical trial. EORTC Early Clinical Trials Group. Br J Cancer 1994;70:380–3.
271. Bang Y-J, Kang WK, Kang Y-K, et al. Docetaxel 75 mg/m(2) is active and well tolerated in patients with metastatic or recurrent gastric cancer: a phase II trial. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2002;32:248–54.
272. Mai M, Sakata Y, Kanamaru R, et al. A late phase II clinical study of RP56976 (docetaxel) in patients with advanced or recurrent gastric cancer: a coop- erative study group trial (group B). Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 1999;26:487–96.
273. Taguchi T, Sakata Y, Kanamaru R, et al. Late phase II clinical study of RP56976 (docetaxel) in patients with advanced/recurrent gastric cancer: a Japanese Cooperative Study Group trial (group A). Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 1998;25:1915–24.
274. Constenla M, Garcia-Arroyo R, Lorenzo I, et al. Docetaxel, 5-fluorouracil, and leucovorin as treat- ment for advanced gastric cancer: results of a phase II study. Gastric Cancer 2002;5:142–7.
275. Jeung HC, Rha SY, Kim YT, et al. A phase II study of infusional 5-fluorouracil and low-dose leucovo- rin with docetaxel for advanced gastric cancer. Oncology 2006;70:63–70.
276. Papakostas P, Tsavdaridis D, Kosmidis P, et al. Combination docetaxel (Taxotere), fluorouracil, and leucovorin (TFL), as first-line chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group phase II study. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:26–31.
277. Park SH, Lee WK, Chung M, et al. Paclitaxel versus docetaxel for advanced gastric cancer: a randomized phase II trial in combination with infusional 5-fluorouracil. Anticancer Drugs 2006;17:225–9.
278. Chun JH, Kim HK, Lee JS, et al. Weekly docetaxel in combination with capecitabine in patients with metastatic gastric cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2005;28:188–94
279. Park KW, Ahn JS, Park YS, et al. Phase II study of docetaxel and cisplatin combination chemotherapy in metastatic gastric cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2007;59:17–21.
280. Ridwelski K, Gebauer T, Fahlke J, et al. Combina- tion chemotherapy with docetaxel and cisplatin for locally advanced and metastatic gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2001;12:47–51.
281. Saitoh S, Sakata Y. Docetaxel and cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer: results of Japanese phase I/II study. Gastric Cancer 2002;5(Suppl 1):23–6.
282. Schull B, Kornek GV, Schmid K, et al. Effective combination chemotherapy with bimonthly docetaxel and cisplatin with or without hematopoi- etic growth factor support in patients with advanced gastroesophageal cancer. Oncology 2003;65:211–7.
283. Oh D-Y, Kim T-Y, Kwon JH, et al. Docetaxel + 5-fluorouracil + cisplatin 3-day combination che- motherapy as a first-line treatment in patients with unresectable gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2005;35:380–5.
284. Park SR, Chun JH, Kim YW, et al. Phase II study of low-dose docetaxel/fluorouracil/cisplatin in metastatic gastric carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 2005;28:433–8.
285. Ajani JA, Fodor MB, Tjulandin SA, et al. Phase II multi-institutional randomized trial of docetaxel plus cisplatin with or without fluorouracil in patients with untreated, advanced gastric, or gas- troesophageal adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:5660–7.
286. Van Cutsem E, Moiseyenko VM, Tjulandin S, et al. Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluoro- uracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:4991–7.
287. Ohtsu A, Shah MA, Van Cutsem E, et al. Bevaci- zumab in combination with chemotherapy as first- line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:3968–76.
288. Overman MJ, Kazmi SM, Jhamb J, et al. Weekly docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil as initial therapy for patients with advanced gastric and esophageal cancer. Cancer 2010;116:1446–53.
289. Kondo K, Murase M, Kodera Y, et al. Feasibility study on protracted infusional 5-fluorouracil and consecutive low-dose cisplatin for advanced gastric cancer. Oncology 1996;53:64–7.
290. Lacave AJ, Baron FJ, Anton LM, et al. Combination chemotherapy with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil 5-day infusion in the therapy of advanced gastric cancer: a phase II trial. Ann Oncol 1991;2:751–4.
291. Lin YC, Chen JS, Wang CH, et al. Weekly high- dose 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), leucovorin (LV) and bimonthly cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2001;31:605–9.
292. Ohtsu A, Shimada Y, Yoshida S, et al. Phase II study of protracted infusional 5-fluorouracil com- bined with cisplatinum for advanced gastric cancer: report from the Japan Clinical Oncology Group (JCOG). Eur J Cancer 1994;30A:2091–3.
293. Rougier P, Ducreux M, Mahjoubi M, et al. Efficacy of combined 5-fluorouracil and cisplatinum in advanced gastric carcinomas. A phase II trial with prognostic factor analysis. Eur J Cancer 1994;30A:1263–9.
294. Kim NK, Park YS, Heo DS, et al. A phase III randomized study of 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and mitomycin C versus 5-fluorouracil alone in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 1993;71:3813–8.
295. Ohtsu A, Shimada Y, Shirao K, et al. Randomized phase III trial of fluorouracil alone versus fluoro- uracil plus cisplatin versus uracil and tegafur plus mitomycin in patients with unresectable, advanced gastric cancer: The Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study (JCOG9205). J Clin Oncol 2003;21: 54–9.
296. Moertel CG, Rubin J, O’Connell MJ, et al. A phase II study of combined 5-fluorouracil, doxo- rubicin, and cisplatin in the treatment of advanced upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas. J Clin Oncol 1986;4:1053–7.
297. Rougier P, Droz JP, Theodore C, et al. Phase II trial of combined 5-fluorouracil plus doxorubicin plus cisplatin (FAP regimen) in advanced gastric carci- noma. Cancer Treat Rep 1987;71:1301–2.
298. Wagener DJ, Yap SH, Wobbes T, et al. Phase II trial of 5-fluorouracil, Adriamycin and cisplatin (FAP) in advanced gastric cancer. Cancer Che- mother Pharmacol 1985;15:86–7.
299. Cullinan SA, Moertel CG, Wieand HS, et al. Con- trolled evaluation of three drug combination regi- mens versus fluorouracil alone for the therapy of advanced gastric cancer. North Central Cancer Treatment Group. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:412–6.
300. Haim N, Tsalik M, Robinson E. Treatment of gastric adenocarcinoma with the combination of etoposide, Adriamycin and cisplatin (EAP): comparison between two schedules. Oncology 1994;51:102–7.
301. Kelsen D, Atiq OT, Saltz L, et al. FAMTX versus etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin: a random assignment trial in gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:541–8.
302. Cocconi G, Carlini P, Gamboni A, et al. Cisplatin, epirubicin, leucovorin and 5-fluorouracil (PELF) is more active than 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin and methotrexate (FAMTX) in advanced gastric carci- noma. Ann Oncol 2003;14:1258–63.
303. Aitini E, Rabbi C, Mambrini A, et al. Epirubicin, cisplatin and continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (ECF) in locally advanced or metastatic gastric cancer: a single institution experience. Tumori 2001;87:20–4.
304. Findlay M, Cunningham D, Norman A, et al. A phase II study in advanced gastro-esophageal cancer using epirubicin and cisplatin in combina- tion with continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (ECF). Ann Oncol 1994;5:609–16.
305. Thuss-Patience PC, Kretzschmar A, Repp M, et al. Docetaxel and continuous-infusion fluorouracil versus epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil for advanced gastric adenocarcinoma: a randomized phase II study. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:494–501.
306. Zaniboni A, Barni S, Labianca R, et al. Epirubicin, cisplatin, and continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil is an active and safe regimen for patients with advanced gastric cancer. An Italian Group for the Study of Digestive Tract Cancer (GISCAD) report. Cancer 1995;76:1694–9.
307. Webb A, Cunningham D, Scarffe JH, et al. Ran- domized trial comparing epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil versus fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and methotrexate in advanced esophagogastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:261–7.
308. Beer M, Cavalli F, Kaye SB, et al. A phase II study of carboplatin in advanced or metastatic stomach cancer. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1987;23: 1565–7.
309. Preusser P, Wilke H, Achterrath W, et al. Phase II study of carboplatin in untreated inoperable advanced stomach cancer. Eur J Cancer 1990; 26:1108–9.
310. Arbuck SG, Douglass Jr HO, Trave F, et al. A phase II trial of 5-fluorouracil and high-dose intravenous leucovorin in gastric carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1987;5:1150–6.
311. Berenberg JL, Tangen C, Macdonald JS, et al. Phase II study of 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid in the treatment of patients with advanced gastric cancer. A Southwest Oncology Group study. Cancer 1995;76:715–9.
312. Al-Batran S-E, Atmaca A, Hegewisch-Becker S, et al. Phase II trial of biweekly infusional fluoro- uracil, folinic acid, and oxaliplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:658–63.
313. Cavanna L, Artioli F, Codignola C, et al. Oxalipla- tin in combination with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and leucovorin (LV) in patients with metastatic gastric cancer (MGC). Am J Clin Onco 2006;29:371–5.
314. Chao Y, Yeh KH, Chang CJ, et al. Phase II study of weekly oxaliplatin and 24-h infusion of high- dose 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid in the treat- ment of advanced gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 2004;91:453–8.
315. De Vita F, Orditura M, Matano E, et al. A phase II study of biweekly oxaliplatin plus infusional 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid (FOLFOX-4) as first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer patients. Br J Cancer 2005;92:1644–9.
316. Lordick F, Lorenzen S, Stollfuss J, et al. Phase II study of weekly oxaliplatin plus infusional fluoro- uracil and folinic acid (FUFOX regimen) as first- line treatment in metastatic gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 2005;93:190–4.
317. Louvet C, Andre T, Tigaud JM, et al. Phase II study of oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and folinic acid in locally advanced or metastatic gastric cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:4543–8.
318. Al-Batran S-E, Hartmann JT, Probst S, et al. Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarci- noma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the Arbeitsge- meinschaft Internistische Onkologie. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:1435–42.
319. Sumpter K, Harper-Wynne C, Cunningham D, et al. Report of two protocol planned interim analyses in a randomised multicentre phase III study comparing capecitabine with fluorouracil and oxaliplatin with cisplatin in patients with advanced oesophagogastric cancer receiving ECF. Br J Cancer 2005;92:1976–83.
320. Okines AFC, Norman AR, McCloud P, et al. Meta-analysis of the REAL-2 and ML17032 trials: evaluating capecitabine-based combination che- motherapy and infused 5-fluorouracil-based com- bination chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced oesophago-gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2009;20:1529–34.
321. Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, et al. S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone for first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 2008;9:215–21.
322. Ajani JA, Rodriguez W, Bodoky G, et al. Multicenter phase III comparison of cisplatin/S-1 with cisplatin/infusional fluorouracil in advanced gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma study: the FLAGS trial. J Clin Oncol 2010;28: 1547–53.
323. Enzinger PC, Kulke MH, Clark JW, et al. A phase II trial of irinotecan in patients with previously untreated advanced esophageal and gastric adeno- carcinoma. Dig Dis Sci 2005;50:2218–23.
324. Park SR, Chun JH, Yu MS, et al. Phase II study of docetaxel and irinotecan combination chemother- apy in metastatic gastric carcinoma. Br J Cancer 2006;94:1402–6.
325. Ajani JA, Baker J, Pisters PWT, et al. CPT-11 plus cisplatin in patients with advanced, untreated gastric or gastroesophageal junction carcinoma: results of a phase II study. Cancer 2002;94: 641–6.
326. Baek JH, Kim JG, Sohn SK, et al. Biweekly irino- tecan and cisplatin as second-line chemotherapy in pretreated patients with advanced gastric cancer: a multicenter phase II study. J Korean Med Sci 2005;20:966–70.
327. Giuliani F, Molica S, Maiello E, et al. Irinotecan (CPT-11) and mitomycin-C (MMC) as second- line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a phase II study of the Gruppo Oncologico dell’ Italia Meridionale (prot. 2106). Am J Clin Oncol 2005;28:581–5.
328. Souglakos J, Syrigos K, Potamianou A, et al. Com- bination of irinotecan (CPT-11) plus oxaliplatin (L-OHP) as first-line treatment in locally advanced or metastatic gastric cancer: a multicentre phase II trial. Ann Oncol 2004;15:1204–9.
329. Shah MA, Ramanathan RK, Ilson DH, et al. Mul- ticenter phase II study of irinotecan, cisplatin, and bevacizumab in patients with metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:5201–6.
330. Bouche O, Raoul JL, Bonnetain F, et al. Random- ized multicenter phase II trial of a biweekly regimen of fluorouracil and leucovorin (LV5FU2), LV5FU2 plus cisplatin, or LV5FU2 plus irinotecan in patients with previously untreated metastatic gastric cancer: a Federation Francophone de Can- cerologie Digestive Group Study–FFCD 9803. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:4319–28.
331. Dank M, Zaluski J, Barone C, et al. Randomized phase III study comparing irinotecan combined with 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid to cisplatin combined with 5-fluorouracil in chemotherapy naive patients with advanced adenocarcinoma of the stomach or esophagogastric junction. Ann Oncol 2008;19:1450–7.
332. Kim JG, Sohn SK, Chae YS, et al. Vascular endo- thelial growth factor gene polymorphisms associ- ated with prognosis for patients with gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2007;18:1030–6.
333. Tzanakis N, Gazouli M, Rallis G, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor polymorphisms in gastric cancer development, prognosis, and survival. J Surg Oncol 2006;94:624–30.
334. Yao JC, Wang L, Wei D, et al. Association between expression of transcription factor Sp1 and increased vascular endothelial growth factor expression, advanced stage, and poor survival in patients with resected gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2004;10:4109–17.
335. El-Rayes BF, Zalupski M, Bekai-Saab T, et al. A phase II study of bevacizumab, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel in locally advanced and metastatic gastric and gastroesophageal junction cancers. Ann Oncol 2010;21:1999–2004.
336. Shah MA, Jhawer M, Ilson DH, et al. Phase II study of modified docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluoro- uracil with bevacizumab in patients with metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:868–74.
337. Ohtsu A, Shah MA, Van Cutsem E, et al. Bevacizumab in combination with chemotherapy as first-line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:3968–76.
338. Albarello L, Pecciarini L, Doglioni C. HER2 testing in gastric cancer. Adv Anatomic Pathol 2011;18:53–9.
339. Bang Y-J, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, et al. Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2010;376:687–97.
340. Chan JA, Blaszkowsky LS, Enzinger PC, et al. A multicenter phase II trial of single-agent cetux- imab in advanced esophageal and gastric adenocar- cinoma. Ann Oncol 2011;22:1367–73.
341. Rao S, Starling N, Cunningham D, et al. Matu- zumab plus epirubicin, cisplatin and capecitabine (ECX) compared with epirubicin, cisplatin and capecitabine alone as first-line treatment in patients with advanced oesophago-gastric cancer: a ran- domised, multicentre open-label phase II study. Ann Oncol 2010;21:2213–9.
342. Chang HM, Jung KH, Kim TY, et al. A phase III randomized trial of 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and mitomycin C versus 5-fluorouracil and mito- mycin C versus 5-fluorouracil alone in curatively resected gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2002;13: 1779–85.
343. Bang Y-J, Kim Y-W, Yang H-K, et al. Adjuvant capecitabine and oxaliplatin for gastric cancer after D2 gastrectomy (CLASSIC): a phase 3 open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012;379: 315–21.
344. Swisher SG, Winter KA, Komaki RU, et al. A phase II study of a paclitaxel-based chemoradiation regimen with selective surgical salvage for resect- able locoregionally advanced esophageal cancer: initial reporting of RTOG 0246. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012;82:1967–72; Epub 2011 Apr 18.